But first … we gave a party Friday night, a semi-goodbye thing and belated visa-party/housewarming. It was soo much fun. We had invited a rather eclectic variety of people: colleagues, the neighbour, friends, and it was great to see and realize we actually have quite a group of friends here. And although they didn’t know each other, everyone mingled really well and things like summer jobs for our student friend evolved, as well as heated discussions about the kiwi accent (“excint”).
It was a “bring a plate” party, a very popular phenomenon in NZ, and a fun way of getting a diverse dinner on your table… Everyone also brought wine and beer so we can now have another party with the leftover alcohol. I had made a big pan of gluehwein which was definitely a highlight.
We made a trivia quiz, with 10 hilarious multiple choice questions about us and Europe. Another good way to get people moving (the questions were all through the house), talking and cooperating, and laughing. Interestingly the winner was a tie between Ian – another sign that we spend maybe too much time together somehow – and Alistair, Thomas’ oldest kiwi-friend (they met in Munich 15 years ago). The last extra question went to Ian, who then won the fantastic prize (a made-in-china party hat)
It was really great to see our friends and my dearest colleagues before flying off for almost 4 months. I will miss them, although I am very much looking forward to being overseas for a while.
Today I packed and bought presents for the people I will be working with in Ann Arbor. Then I realized these are geologists, and I should bring them each a treasure from my now extensive NZ rock collection: