With one of the worst self-timer photos in my humble amateur photographer career I proudly present my new bicycle. The camera was on an angle, this is not during an earthquake or anything of the sort. And me in the worst colour matching ever. Pink orange and red, but at least I am visible!
After several attempts at test riding bicycles and a long decision process and many conversations with other cyclists I finally bought a bicycle that is a crossover between a road bike and a mountain bike and therefore can basically do everything. All terrain cross trail hybrid blablabla. It is horribly ugly. First of all it is black and I detest black. And it is sort of silly sturdy trying to be a mountain bike but not quite succeeding. But it is a smooth ride and that is all that counts.
So Last Thursday I set off to work, a bit nervous, but determined to do the 20 km in less than 55 minutes, which was the time of a colleague who rode basically the same stretch.
All started out fine although I was out of breath in 5 minutes. But traffic was fine, the wind wasn’t too strong and it was sunny. I did take a wrong turn in the middle of sheep-country, but I arrived at work in 55 minutes. Took a nice shower, discovered I had forgotten a comb. I was so much more focused and concentrated with work afterwards, despite the wild hair. At least I had clean clothes.
Going back I thought I was lucky, usually a hurricane picks up in the afternoon but it was only slightly breezy. But that breeze was terribly annoying. And I felt it was going to be a horrible experience with real wind. I was pretty exhausted when I got home and totally floored after I’d been to yoga.
So I didn’t cycle again until today. Got to work in 45 minutes, but already noticed that people going the opposite direction were not having fun. And yes, going back was so, so, so hard. It wasn’t even the strongest wind I’ve ever seen here, but it was enough to make me come to a standstill a couple of times. You’re struggling, struggling, and then swoosh an even stronger gust nearly blows your helmet off your head. And it was complete headwind the whole time. No end to it. It took me 1 hour and 13 minutes: almost half an hour more!
As I finally reached our driveway Mona’s daughter had parked her car in front of my garage as she usually does and which is fine, but I couldn’t open it … argh! So I knocked which of course they didn’t hear and jumped up and down various windows until she came rushing out and put the car in front of Mona’s garage. It’s a really teeny weeny car, I don’t really see the point why she always puts it in front of my garage, but oh well. Mona made my day. “Did you cycle to your work today? I thought I saw you this morning leaving on your bike .Did you?! Ooh! You beauty! Good for you!” (me: “Haha! I was sure you would see me!” she sees everything). Mona often reminds me of my oma, she is just as stubborn and independent, composed, observant, and admiring of physical activity.
And after a shower and a nutritious pasta I felt as if I own the world. I’m not doing this every day from now on, but it is a nice bike ride, and for some reason I really do feel much more focused during the day.
After several attempts at test riding bicycles and a long decision process and many conversations with other cyclists I finally bought a bicycle that is a crossover between a road bike and a mountain bike and therefore can basically do everything. All terrain cross trail hybrid blablabla. It is horribly ugly. First of all it is black and I detest black. And it is sort of silly sturdy trying to be a mountain bike but not quite succeeding. But it is a smooth ride and that is all that counts.
So Last Thursday I set off to work, a bit nervous, but determined to do the 20 km in less than 55 minutes, which was the time of a colleague who rode basically the same stretch.
All started out fine although I was out of breath in 5 minutes. But traffic was fine, the wind wasn’t too strong and it was sunny. I did take a wrong turn in the middle of sheep-country, but I arrived at work in 55 minutes. Took a nice shower, discovered I had forgotten a comb. I was so much more focused and concentrated with work afterwards, despite the wild hair. At least I had clean clothes.
Going back I thought I was lucky, usually a hurricane picks up in the afternoon but it was only slightly breezy. But that breeze was terribly annoying. And I felt it was going to be a horrible experience with real wind. I was pretty exhausted when I got home and totally floored after I’d been to yoga.
So I didn’t cycle again until today. Got to work in 45 minutes, but already noticed that people going the opposite direction were not having fun. And yes, going back was so, so, so hard. It wasn’t even the strongest wind I’ve ever seen here, but it was enough to make me come to a standstill a couple of times. You’re struggling, struggling, and then swoosh an even stronger gust nearly blows your helmet off your head. And it was complete headwind the whole time. No end to it. It took me 1 hour and 13 minutes: almost half an hour more!
As I finally reached our driveway Mona’s daughter had parked her car in front of my garage as she usually does and which is fine, but I couldn’t open it … argh! So I knocked which of course they didn’t hear and jumped up and down various windows until she came rushing out and put the car in front of Mona’s garage. It’s a really teeny weeny car, I don’t really see the point why she always puts it in front of my garage, but oh well. Mona made my day. “Did you cycle to your work today? I thought I saw you this morning leaving on your bike .Did you?! Ooh! You beauty! Good for you!” (me: “Haha! I was sure you would see me!” she sees everything). Mona often reminds me of my oma, she is just as stubborn and independent, composed, observant, and admiring of physical activity.
And after a shower and a nutritious pasta I felt as if I own the world. I’m not doing this every day from now on, but it is a nice bike ride, and for some reason I really do feel much more focused during the day.