Yesterday at lunch Johanneke asked me if I wanted to join her and some of her ultimnate Frisbee friends for dinner and a movie. And not just any movie, but a German movie. Ha! Irony! I hardly ever went to see a movie in Germany because I HATE that they dub all non-German movies. Although I did get used to it. Would this be sweet revenge? A German movie dubbed into English?
We met at a Chinese restaurant that was tucked away and very plain but good food and the Frisbee people were fun. Half of them were Dutch anyway, in fact there was only 1 Kiwi at the table. When we went to the cinema Coincidentally a Canadian couple asked if they could give me a ride and I squeaked “Ooh! Canadians!” when I asked them where they were from. Hihi. They were nice, of course.
The movie was in German, with English subtitles. The first half hour this was highly confusing for me. You cannot help yourself and read the subtitles, and then I heard them speak in English too, and my brain would slowly say “no it can’t be, it must be German” and then I got all mixed up. Until I tried very hard not to read the subtitles and then I was ok.
The movie, “Alle Anderen” or “Everybody else”, apparently showed us a couple that wanted to be “different”. And then they met a couple that was “normal” and they went through a crisis. I thought the film was pretty slow and long. The actors were good, so good that I absolutely loathed the “different” guy, and at the end I couldn’t forgive the “different” girl, who was fun, that she apparently decided to stay with this pathetic arrogant stupid person.
So as we came out of the cinema and I blurted out “Didn’t you hate the guy too?! My God what a complete idiot!”, and everybody looked at me sheepishly and murmured “I liked the movie”… Hmm, so much for the phrase we were discussing over dinner “The Dutch are too honest to be polite”. Well I just really hated him the way he treated his nice girlfriend. But it was nice to be a night out with some fun people anyway. I’m glad I went even though I was tired.