Monday, 28 February 2011

Emergency plan in place

I’m off on fieldwork again. Do not worry. Back March 11th.

I was going to write about the preparations today, but it’s late, I’m tired, and the next 11 days are going to be tiresome. Instead, check out the emergency plan I had to put in place for all people involved and our team leader at work:

All: please note the emergency plan. Basically we keep doing fieldwork no matter what happens in Christchurch. If there is another large quake and we’re unable to get back to Chch, we’ll just keep going on the Westcoast, possibly waiting until we can return in Hokitika or Greymouth.
If anything happens to us during the fieldwork, we ideally stay clear of Chch as well as there is limited hospital space anyway. If anyone gets hurt we try to move to anywhere local where we can get help.

If all else fails, meaning if we can’t go back to Chch for whatever reason (alpine fault quakes, Chch quakes, injuries, other things I don’t even want to think about) and can’t establish contact with Chch, we try to move/stay in Hokitika or Greymouth and wait.