It has been raining non stop since Sunday evening now. Ian said to me this morning “It probably reminds you of the Netherlands, being below sealevel”. In fact it reminds me more of the Vancouver autumn rains, but whichever way you look at it, it is just annoyingly wet. I waited for the bus for 3 minutes and I was soaked. And everyday the radio tells me “This afternoon the storm will really hit ChCh, expect heavy showers and strong winds”, and I think to myself, if it gets worse than this is it called a cyclone.
Thinking about things that Ian said to me, a few days ago there was this hilarious scene:
I was working at my desk, Gareth was working at his desk, everything nice and quiet. Ian came in and said “Hey Nina, I just remembered, blablabla” and I replied, “yeah, I know, we should blablabla”. Then he said “Hmmm, bblmmb, you should bblluubbtt Sunday wahhtrgff waiter”. So my mind started racing, “bllughtrft? Is that related to work? Was it a joke? Which waiter is he talking about?” So I asked “eehm, the waiter?” and he said “WEATHER. Check the weather before we go out in the field. Sorry, I tend to mumble. Have you noticed that? Yeah, I mumble all the time. Just tell me to stop. Just yell “Ian! Stop Mumbling!” My wife does it all the time”. While I was wondering if he is actually reading this blog, since he used the exact same words that I put in my blog post about him mumbling, Gareth started laughing, and then everybody laughed. And so I hope that even if he reads the blog, which I doubt because he would see it as an incredible waste of time, he might find it amusing…
Back to the rain: in the Waiata session today (The Maori songs singing group from work) we sang a children’s song that is more or less begging the rain to stop, which was appropriate but I think it only rained harder afterwards. Just to give you some idea of our songs, here are some videos of the last two songs we sang.
I still really like the singing. Everybody sings pretty bad so I don’t feel shy to sing the wrong melody and the wrong words and wrong pronunciation…