So, rain, eh …
A few random quotes from today:
A few random quotes from today:
- At a seminar: “How would the rainfall dispersion of spores evolve over time? Such as in this once-in-a-decade event were having right now?!”
- Gareth after checking the forecast: “Rain tomorrow, showers on Sunday, light rain Monday, rain on Tuesday, mmm, it looks as if there might be a short dry period on Wednesday. But rain after that”.
- A total stranger at the busstop: “AWEFULL weather, eh?”
- Ian in the morning: “When you see it is dry, come to me IMMEDIATELY. We have to split those liners for the soil cores, and we can only use the saw outside, and so only if it doesn’t rain. We just need a few minutes, so hopefully we’ll get that today”.
- Ian in the afternoon: “Nina, we have a serious problem… I don’t think it is going to stop raining today”.
- Ian before I jumped on my bus: “Have a nice weekend! Don’t get wet!”
- The newspaper: “RECORD RAINFALL 3 day deluge worst ever” (apparently we had 116.4 mm in the last 3 days and that hasn’t happened since 1957)
It’s also cold now. And windy. At work I get gusts of cold wind in my face because the window doesn’t really shut tight. At home I have all the heaters blazing and then it is ok. My garden has become supersaturated. I can’t see any sheep through the fogged and wet bus windows, and there is a horrible traffic accident every morning.
Sometimes it just drizzling, but the sort of drizzle that is really a big splash of cold water in your face. Sometimes it is dry for 10 minutes followed by really heavy downpours the next 10 minutes and that can go on for hours. Yesterday I walked home in something coming close to wet snow, this morning I arrived at work in hail. In between it just rains in gusty but steady water curtains. I have seen some large amounts of rain, but I can’t remember seeing all forms of rain in what is basically the same rainfall event.