Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Day trip to Akaroa

With a car, a man and a plan, the weekends will all be fun filled mini holidays from now on. We went on a lovely day trip last Sunday to Akaroa, a little village on the other side of the largely extinct volcano-crater South of Chch. I say largely extinct, because it hasn’t done anything the last few millions years, but who knows, never turn your back on a volcano is the popular geologist saying (that I just made up). Akaroa was first founded by the French (Mon Dieu pas les Francais!) but then somehow the French boat was beaten by the English (and 4 Germans) and now NZ is more English than French (Praise the Lord). However, to boost tourism, Akaroa recently embraced its Frenchness, which in this case turned out to be a good thing. Food. Lots of good food. And cute wee houses with the French tricolor and erratic French street names. And sheep.

And, a lot of old fancy cars


The way to Akaroa is hilly and windy and was an excellent opportunity to try out my driving skills and the car’s robustness. I think the best test result was that Thomas’ stomach, a bit troubled the day before, gave no signs of sickness whatsoever.
So, a nice day of gentle exploring.


On a side note, I (and Thomas) have undeniable if probably completely normal difficulties to get used to non-single life, NZ life and each other in general. I don’t want to dwell on it too much here and it will work itself out, but I can’t pretend it’s all rose smell and moonshine, as the Dutch saying goes. As someone who knows me a little bit virtually yelled at me “What did you think?! You independent old fox! Be patient!” (poetic translation by me).