Sunday, 19 September 2010

Good memories for the taste buds

This has been a strange weekend. I’m exhausted by all the normal weekend stuff: gardening, cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking. I looked at 2 bikes and 4 cars online but somehow didn’t find the time to actually go for test rides on/in any of them. I getting really tired of hauling bags of gardening soil on my rickety bike, and of not being able to go and have a look at the perfect bike because it is in some little town not too far out of Chch but only reachable by car.

I also cycled to a far away supermarket because Gareth told me they had European style Turkish ready-to-use-pizza-bases. When we had after-earthquake dinner at Gareth&Penny’s they presented about 6 different pizzas and that was how I found out about those nice pizza-bases. I haven’t had a decent pizza since I left Freiburg as far as I can remember. I did have the worst pizza in history though. Ugh.

This supermarket had a relatively large stock of organic products, all horrifyingly expensive, but I have come to accept that. It is a small country after all, islands, and with perhaps 1% of 4 million people buying organic cheese or so once in a while I can see why all organic things cost at least 3 times as much as the normal product. But since I make some more money now, and hardly seem to use much food anyway, I guess it is worth it for my conscience regarding the well-being of the NZ soils.

So I prepared myself a Flammkuchen tonight. I became slightly (or rather: completely) addicted to those in Freiburg and I miss them incredibly. Somehow before the pizza party I never thought about trying to bake them myself. Although it is extremely easy (especially with the base ready). Just spread with crème fraiche, sprinkle with onions and bacon. Bake a few minutes at 230C and then add some fresh parsley (first harvest from the garden!). I nearly cried when I took the first bite. I’ve become pretty homesick again for Freiburg lately, I’m starting to be rather amazed by how much I miss Freiburg.The other strange emotional response: at the library I coincidentally noticed the book “The host” by Stephenie Meyer, the Twilight author, and that is so great about libraries, you can try out books that you don’t want to buy right away. It is well known that I really liked (loved) the Twilight books, but I was afraid that anything else by the same author would be crap. Well, it is impossible to put away. I have found myself again completely enthralled by the book, I have a headache from reading too much, too late, too long. I even cried. All Stephenie Meyer books are so bad for my health. It’s not even that she is such a brilliant author, but the story is so captivating I cannot stop reading. She has a dazzling ability to come up with thrilling tales.

All in all though I feel worn out and tired and somehow sad.
In other things, we haven’t had a single earthquake today yet (8:20pm). It makes me scared, will there be a big one instead then?!