Wednesday, 13 March 2013

The four day wedding

If you’re not really much into “marriage” as a concept, a four day wedding, although short by some Indian standards, is perhaps, indeed, a bit much. Nevertheless, we enjoyed this event a lot, and I would say all the years of anticipation were not disappointed.

After our first night in the state-run hotel of Jammu, where they were surprised, for want of a better word (shocked?) to hear that we were going to spend the night in the same room, we were picked up by someone and transported to Pawan’s family’s house with some other relatives. As it later turned out, they were Pawan’s sister’s husband’s brother’s family. We had to go through a few parallels in our own families to realize how they were (hardly at all to our standards) related to the actual bride&groom. And so I realized that in fact I too have a huge family, were we to invite all these loose acquaintances of our families to our hypothetical wedding. But that was alright, as we will see later in the story, they came in really handy, at least for us.

The first day was a relaxed affair. We got to meet the family in an endless  parade of “cousins”. It was easy to see the features of our friends in their direct family, and although it took us all of the days to remember their names, we could at least in the sea of “cousins” always find anchorage at a sister, mother or father. We had to eat plates and plates full of Kashmiri delights, and overboard with all of the Delhi-belly precautions, to make way for politeness. I don’t know how much stuff we ate that at least 10 people would have touched…

The second day we went shopping with Pawan and Swati. We hadn’t seen Swati so far, since 2009, so this was a great reunion, even if it was a bit hectic, because they were both in high demand by the family and some 6000 things still needed to be arranged. We had said that we would like to wear traditional Indian costumes, and so we went looking for those. I tried on a few saris, which turned out to be even more complicated than I had already anticipated. With Swati’s advice I chose a sari that was “wow” and definitely not quite your traditional sari. Thomas went for (peacock) blue kurta pajamas.

 

After a nice lunch, the bride-to-be was off on other duties, and we went home again with Pawan. There was some music and dancing and a ceremony with water and walnuts. This all sounds pretty vague, and that was how we experienced it. One of Pawan’s teenage cousins was a source of wisdom on all that was going on, but his words were also to be taken with grains of salt. His most memorable expression was “India is dirty!”, which is true, but didn’t earn him much credit from the rest of the family. There was again eating, and we met Pawan’s school friends from way back. Pawan seemed thankful that they had showed up, after he had missed all their weddings and children being born and other highlights. This made me a bit homesick for my own school friends, the weddings I missed, and the children I hardly know.

The next morning however Thomas had acquired some infamous microorganisms, and after a short walk decided to stay in the hotel to get fit for the biggest day. Pawan’s brother-in-law, a doctor, came around with some medicine, and Pawan took me out on another small shopping tour and back to the house. Without Thomas, I was immediately seized by the aunties and spent most of the day huddled under a blanket with various aunties and cousins of the female gender. I should say that there was a clear gender separation, although not forced, and that the aunties generally resided on mattresses spread throughout the house, under blankets when it got cold. As foreign female I always find you get the privilege of both being somewhat accepted into the male-crowd (helped by Pawan introducing me as a fellow-PhD), as well as getting fully immersed into the female rounds. In Egypt I had a completely different experience visiting the scientists’ houses and families than the male prof, who never got to see let alone talk to the wives of scientists.
Pawan undergoing a ceremony, which is being filmed, and every auntie knows better how to do it

One of Pawan’s close aunts immediately made use of the situation without Thomas. The day before she had asked me whether I was married, which I tried to explain while we were standing next to loud drums. So it was no surprise that when Thomas was at the hotel in bed, she mentioned to me, not so casually, that she wanted her son to be married to a European girl. I was then without further ado introduced to the son in question. Pawan immediately started making fun of his aunt, and I tried again to explain my relationship-situation. I also thought to myself “auntie, you have no idea what you would be in for with me as daughter-in-law…”. Although she later commented to me how handsome and friendly Thomas was, I am not sure she really accepted the situation fully …

This was also a big day. All the women got their mehndi done (henna). 


Pawan got smeared with kurkuma, washed with yoghurt, and dressed in new clothes. There was more dancing and incomprehensible things going on. I went on walks with aunties, and made friends with some of the younger cousins, who had some very interesting questions (“what is your favourite colour, your favourite vegetable (??!!!), what moisturizer do you use, where is New Zealand, how do you pray if you have no religion?”). Although I ran into some undesirable discussions in Brasil when asked about getting married and having children, and I had fabricated some half-truths to keep people happy, in the course of the days I always decided to tell the truth. No, we are not married but yes we live together and this is socially accepted. Yes I have a PhD too and I work fulltime and I wouldn’t want it any other way. In my country people go to the town hall to get married, and hardly any go to church. It is possible to be honest with yourself and truthful to the world without having ever believed in a God. Suddenly I wanted all these people, especially the little girls, to get a feeling for my world as it is, not making things up to smooth the differences between our cultures. I may have gone a little bit over the top towards the end as the 100th unknown family member asked how wedding ceremonies are in Western culture … “NO church, no, we do NOT go to church”. Thomas argued that even in Western society most weddings are in church, which I guess is true in general, but none of my married friends except one (or rather two) were married in church. So to me, church is pretty exotic.

Anyway, I don’t really want to stray into that area. People can get married any way they like and it is all fine by me. Nevertheless, if people ask me my opinion, I give it the way I see or experience things, and I realize my experiences are rather Godless and feminist, or pro-female, and I am happy that way, but I also try to respect other ways.
Well, that’s enough for keeping the blog politically and religiously correct. On to the wedding.

So the third day, without Thomas, was pretty straining for me. I also had some microorganisms in my belly, but because by now soooo much family had arrived and things were soo hectic, I could control better what not to eat. We learned how to fake eating lots of food by saying either “we’ve had food already” or “we’ll get some later”. The food was a-ma-zing, but just not very friendly on the stomach for us. I had explained Western weddings, New Zealand culture, German research and my “relationship” to Thomas more times than I cared to recount.

After another sleepless night (I had nightmares about food and terrorists every night) we woke early to get into our dresses. Thomas was slightly recovered from the evil microorganisms. Now the family’s family's family in the hotel came in handy: the lady had agreed to help me with my sari. A sari is a 10 meter long cloth that has to be draped, folded, tucked in and attached with safety pins in mystical ways. The blouse that was last-minute fitted and prepared by a tailor turned out to be waaaay too small, luckily I could take out some centimeters from the seam, but it completely ruined the shape of things. But the vague-family-member was a great help and she also provided me with nailpolish and a bindi on the forehead in the right colour to match the sari. On previous days I had been asked where my nailpolish and lipstick was, as in, why didn’t you do anything about your appearance …
 

We then drove to Pawan’s house, again an amount of people was piled into the small car that now, although we experienced it several times, seems improbable. There, Pawan had mutated into a well-dressed zombie. He was looking absolutely the part, very smart and stunning in his wedding costume, but also as if the real Pawan was not in there. In as far as we hadn’t understood yet that this wedding was much more the families’ wedding than the couple’s wedding, it now became clear that in the culmination of things, the bride and groom were mere puppets. Which they had warned us about, and which they themselves accepted.

We drove off to somewhere, stopped along the way somewhere and something happened. Then we drove on, and had breakfast at “the venue”, as it turned out. At the venue, I unfortunately had to go to the toilet, which turned out to be the filthiest toilet I have ever seen in my entire life. The huge spider shithole in Indonesia and the STD-laden toilet in Perth were nothing compared to it. Let me not go into details, but wearing a sari was a disadvantage: every surface of the sari must have become covered in cholera and other excremental diseases.
In discussion with the drummer, who was slightly taking over the show in the wrong way

We then drove to the temple, and all piled in there and waited. Then Swati came in (beautiful, but also not the “real” Swati) and was ushered next to Pawan. Men and women were again separated except for Pawan and Swati, lucky me, they were just in front of me, with several aunties making sure continuously and perpetuously, that their clothes, veils, daggers, shawls and other attributes were in order. There was praying and they circled the altar four times, connected by a pink shawl. Another round of communal sweet stuff was handed out. And then we went out, drove back to the venue and had snacks and lunch, while the happy couple was being filmed and photographed for several hours straight. 

 

Intermezzo about the video-photo crew: these were two guys that were continuously present and filmed every single second of everything. They were very excited about foreign guests and I am sure we are by now on their website as proof of their international capabilities. I got super fed-up with them in about 10 minutes, because the bright light on their camera was blinding me all the time. At some point I decided to get a few very obvious photos of them, which clearly made them uncomfortable. 

We also had to dance and answer many questions by young cousins, which was a lot of fun. 
Then we went home again, where another ritual was performed welcoming Swati into her new home, and then we had snacks and dinner. We were all staring at Pawan and Swati, whose individualities were slowly seeping back into them. This got a bit on our nerves and we asked if we could sit with them, which we then did. It was hard to have an actual conversation, we were all pretty worn out, but it was nice to just sit there and be together. 


Despite all I’ve said about the wedding so far (I’m afraid it isn’t too positive), it does give you much more the opportunity to get to know the family, the customs, and appreciate more the cultural heritage of your friends, than a one-afternoon-town-hall-wedding. In fact I spent a lot of time thinking about the differences in our cultures, and although I would abhor a wedding like this, I also realized that even in weddings our culture doesn’t seem to celebrate Life and the Universe sufficiently. Compared to India as a whole, Western society as a whole seems so pale, hasty, superficial and lacking that ethereal “other” layer. But then again, I prefer superficiality if it means the water and the streets are clean, I can trust somewhat in democracy and I feel safe.

We drove to the hotel with Pawan and Swati, who were staying in a hotel nearby. Sleepily we said goodbye and all of us went to bed (although not without some difficulty in getting out of the sari…). The next morning we drove on to Dharamsala/McLeod Ganj for some reflective Buddhism.