Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Change is coming

I’m trying to keep the blog in chronological order, because that way it seems as if my life has a certain order to it. But I guess I am only fooling myself, so we’re going to fast-forward to the here and now in this post, neglecting an amazing tour of New Zealand with my brother for the moment.

We got back from India on a Sunday in February. Monday we went to work again. Tuesday evening 11 pm Thomas had his skype interview with the Dutch soil people (got to hate the time difference! And busy scientists’ schedules!). Considering the short time-frame he had had to prepare, it didn’t feel very real I suppose. Wednesday my brother arrived, and Thomas started his woodworking course and I my Spanish course. Thursday Thomas heard the Dutch wanted him to fly over for a second interview. Friday I had my skype interview with Sydney, at work, while Gareth was doing last minute cleaning out of his corner of our shared office. Then we went for drinks to say goodbye. To say this was a bit of a hectic week would be an understatement.
I was sad about Gareth leaving. I wasn’t sure about the job I had interviewed for. Suddenly the possibility of going back to the Netherlands had come much, much, much too close. And through it all was the happy presence of my brother, who made all this more bearable by cooking wonderful dinners for us and enjoying from the couch our “young professional lifes”.

So my brother and me went on our trip, and Thomas flew to the Netherlands. The insanity of driving through New Zealand’s most beautiful landscapes and Thomas maybe changing the course of our lives in snowy below sealevel.

We stayed in constant contact. His interview went well. I got offered the position in Sydney. I said I needed to think about it. Thomas got offered the position in the Netherlands. We thought about it. 

Thomas was happy because it is his dreamjob. I was terrified of going back to the delta, mortified of having to go back - as if it would eliminate all my international experiences in one blow - , and in blind panic about being stuck forever in my worst nightmare.

That was all pretty irrational of me, so after some nights sleep, some liquid spirits and the thought “it’s only for two years”, I decided to see it as the ultimate adventure, a new challenge to myself. And after all, finally Thomas would become fluent in Dutch …!

So Wageningen it is. I declined the offer in Sydney, as well as another possibility that I had open there. I started emailing my contacts in Wageningen and reading up about EU fellowships.

The comparison Wageningen-Sydney is one that should not even be attempted. For anyone who knows me, Wageningen has never been an option. But really, it is the city of life sciences, and perhaps more so the city of global soil science, so not having worked there would be a waste of this career. 

End of May we’ll pack up and leave amazing New Zealand. We are both incredibly sad to be leaving this fantastic country, but also excited about the new opportunities. I will treat my home country as any new land I enter and see it all with new eyes. And at least we’ll be closer to all those wonderful European family and friends that we have!