We have
worked exactly 3 weeks since Christmas holidays, and so naturally it is time
for another holiday. It will be India, where we will attend the wedding of our
friends Pawan and Swati, whom we met in Freiburg, where Pawan did his PhD at
the same time as me, and Swati came over for her MSc. We had truly great times
with them!
The trip
has been in the pipeline for a long time (many years), but we were lucky enough
that Pawan and Swati finally (after years) managed to get a wedding date that
actually coincidentally suited our schedule (unlike many other weddings,
unfortunately, although it may be no secret that I am not without reservations
about marriage, but let that not spoil the fun).
So, we are
prepared to be un-prepared for all that India has to offer, from curry to
Delhi-belly to bone-wrenching poverty to colourful exotics to wearing
traditional Indian wedding-gear to haggling prices to “being everybody’s best
friend”. India hasn’t been too favourably in the news lately so I won’t lie and
admit that I’m not too keen on supporting the country that rapes its women and
is in constant battle with all sorts of religious extremists. Also, in
preparation I read one of Gandhi’s books, and although it is probably hard to
understand his viewpoints from a different culture and a different time, I
found out that I am no fan of Gandhi. Also, last year in Ann Abor I read “Afine balance” which is a fantastic book literature-wise, and has its funny
episodes, but really, I never read such a harrowing, depressing and infuriating
book.
But then
again, Indian food, yoga, colour, what’s not to like? We’ll find out.