Sunday, 20 June 2010

Yoga saves me again

This was a pretty horrid week, and hopefully the lowest point in the U shaped culture shock curve.

Because the week in itself wasn’t bad. It was just another week. I woke up at 6:30-ish every day, had my oatmeal for breakfast, talked with Thomas, pulled on warm clothes and hopped on the bus. 30 minutes later got off, walked to work, turn on the computer, chat with Gareth, get a cup of tea, do work. Lunch with the team, lots of entertaining stories and good jokes. More work in the afternoon, go home by bus again, walk through the mall filled with zombie-like teenagers. Cook some dinner at home or just eat chips and cookies, email friends, read books, go to bed. Blah.

But somehow it was all horrible. I could explain in lots of details how horrible and why horrible, but that would be boring. The best way to describe it is how I finally ended up going to a yoga class.

So I’ve been frequenting the public library in my part of town and I noticed a poster hanging there saying there is yoga at the library every Thursday night 7pm. So I wanted to go there and check it out since the other yoga options are either further away, or weird. One Thursday it rained pretty hard and a few others I wasn’t in town and then this week seemed perfect. So when I woke up I was all “lalalaIa will do yoga tonight!” and then at work I started having my doubts, what if it rains, I don’t have a yoga mat, it will be dark and I might get killed on my bike. Back home I went back and forth, I will go, I won’t go, I should go, I don’t have to go … Until I drove myself crazy and decided “Nina! Blaaah!! Sure whatever FINE! Don’t go!”. The decision was mainly based on the fact that I was hungry and if I would do yoga I shouldn’t eat. But then I started eating all comfort food and felt guilty for stuffing my face with chocolate instead of relaxing body and spirit. Gaah, writing this now I get tired of myself all over again. With my mouth full of chocolate I ran to the mall (so convenient to practically live in the mall), bought the first yoga mat I saw, jumped on my bike and cycled to the library.

Oooh yoga how much I missed you … It was a small and friendly group, and the pace and poses were more or less the same as in Freiburg. I missed my Freiburg group a lot at the beginning, because it was all so familiar, but then I was able to forget and relax which is the whole point of yoga anyway. Glad I finally went although it could have been less chaotic.