Today being the only day this week that I was in the office, I had a mental to-do list that exceeded my brain capacity.
I arrived quarter to 8 and read my emails, did some of the minor revisions on my paper that has been under review for 9 months. Skyped with Thomas, talked to Gareth about car insurance and registration until he as a car owner became unsure about everything and we dropped it. That was probably when I decided to not buy a car for now. Too much issues.
Went to see Ian who wanted to ask some things, arranged a ride to the gym and the corporate gymcard.
Got my vegetation samples from the drying ovens in different buildings and fought the rain/hail/snow with an umbrella to keep the just dried samples dry.
Went to the gym with some other people to build more muscles for the next sampling. The HR woman got me into this “body pump” class and it is reeeeeaaaaaalllll stupid. 45 minutes of lifting weights in different ways with blasting horrible music and the instructor monotonously yelling “Keep it up! That’s right! Feel the power!”. But it must be working, I am terribly sore each time and carrying kilos of soil later the day felt not so bad.
Had a quick lunch and discovered that the computer-guy is growing his beard for as long as Argentina is in the world cup. If they win he is going to run through the tearoom naked. Iew.
Went to see the lady who holds the sacred information to all 56 trillion vegetation plots in NZ and questioned her about 5 specific plots for an hour. Then I had to run to my lab induction. Which was a bit silly, basically just “be careful, and here is the fire extinguisher”.
After that I put soil samples in the oven, and all the 500 that didn’t fit in I put in Ian’s room. He had made a lot of room so that we could start air drying the samples. Hahaha like that is ever going to happen. My laundry has been air drying for 3 days now and is still sopping wet. It would be a cool line in a paper though “Soil was air dried for 3 years in Dr. Ian’s office before analyses. Although all the usual care was taken some of Dr. Ian’s potato chips may have fallen into the samples”.
Then I went around and brought everyone who had been at the Scottish party a muffin, because we had talked about the bake-club, but I had not been able to make it to their meeting. That was when I found out that during the party the rumour had started that my Canadian colleague and me were married but he had left the party without me … I guess that is one of the reasons why you should not go to parties where you might end up dancing with your colleagues. And it probably didn’t help that I was bringing him a muffin too. (not to mention my Canada-mania. Now they probably think I abduct Canadians)
Anyway. I also arranged my next field trip with Chris and the sweet French intern, who is not getting anything out of it except for a week (7 days, we’ll work through the weekend) of rain, cold and hard work. Maybe it is time I start rethinking the French. Another French person let me use his oven. Or is it only the out-of-France French that are nice?!
And then I went home. Exactly at the exit of the supermarket is this sushi take-away, and shortly before 6pm they sell all their sushi at half price… So I treated myself to a large plate of sushi. Mmmm.
Wednesday through Friday I am going on a field trip with some colleagues, which will be more of a holiday trip for me since it has nothing to do with my project. Looking forward to actually take some photos and see what sort of work they are doing.
I arrived quarter to 8 and read my emails, did some of the minor revisions on my paper that has been under review for 9 months. Skyped with Thomas, talked to Gareth about car insurance and registration until he as a car owner became unsure about everything and we dropped it. That was probably when I decided to not buy a car for now. Too much issues.
Went to see Ian who wanted to ask some things, arranged a ride to the gym and the corporate gymcard.
Got my vegetation samples from the drying ovens in different buildings and fought the rain/hail/snow with an umbrella to keep the just dried samples dry.
Went to the gym with some other people to build more muscles for the next sampling. The HR woman got me into this “body pump” class and it is reeeeeaaaaaalllll stupid. 45 minutes of lifting weights in different ways with blasting horrible music and the instructor monotonously yelling “Keep it up! That’s right! Feel the power!”. But it must be working, I am terribly sore each time and carrying kilos of soil later the day felt not so bad.
Had a quick lunch and discovered that the computer-guy is growing his beard for as long as Argentina is in the world cup. If they win he is going to run through the tearoom naked. Iew.
Went to see the lady who holds the sacred information to all 56 trillion vegetation plots in NZ and questioned her about 5 specific plots for an hour. Then I had to run to my lab induction. Which was a bit silly, basically just “be careful, and here is the fire extinguisher”.
After that I put soil samples in the oven, and all the 500 that didn’t fit in I put in Ian’s room. He had made a lot of room so that we could start air drying the samples. Hahaha like that is ever going to happen. My laundry has been air drying for 3 days now and is still sopping wet. It would be a cool line in a paper though “Soil was air dried for 3 years in Dr. Ian’s office before analyses. Although all the usual care was taken some of Dr. Ian’s potato chips may have fallen into the samples”.
Then I went around and brought everyone who had been at the Scottish party a muffin, because we had talked about the bake-club, but I had not been able to make it to their meeting. That was when I found out that during the party the rumour had started that my Canadian colleague and me were married but he had left the party without me … I guess that is one of the reasons why you should not go to parties where you might end up dancing with your colleagues. And it probably didn’t help that I was bringing him a muffin too. (not to mention my Canada-mania. Now they probably think I abduct Canadians)
Anyway. I also arranged my next field trip with Chris and the sweet French intern, who is not getting anything out of it except for a week (7 days, we’ll work through the weekend) of rain, cold and hard work. Maybe it is time I start rethinking the French. Another French person let me use his oven. Or is it only the out-of-France French that are nice?!
And then I went home. Exactly at the exit of the supermarket is this sushi take-away, and shortly before 6pm they sell all their sushi at half price… So I treated myself to a large plate of sushi. Mmmm.
Wednesday through Friday I am going on a field trip with some colleagues, which will be more of a holiday trip for me since it has nothing to do with my project. Looking forward to actually take some photos and see what sort of work they are doing.