I promised everyone
who visited our garden this season regular updates, but I forgot. Recently I wanted to send someone a photo of our
garden in mid-summer glory, but I realised I don't have any photos of
the garden in summer.
Nevertheless I will try here to give a garden update, with photos of dead tomato and courgette-plants.
Nevertheless I will try here to give a garden update, with photos of dead tomato and courgette-plants.
| Dead tomato plants overgrown with Nasturtium |
| The last tomato harvest |
| Dead courgette plants with last courgettes waiting to become soup |
In the beginning,
before we even knew if and if so which house we would buy, we started
collecting plants for our future garden. By the time we moved, we
quickly filled the vege beds, and then the crazy hot, sunny and dry
summer began.
I tried to keep on
top of the tomatoes, but every time we were away for a week of
fieldwork or holiday, the tomatoes developed more and more
side-shoots, so that by January the 7 plants had morphed into 1 big
jungle of tomatoes, and tomatoes appeared everywhere, even when the
actual plant was meters away.
A number of pumpkin
plants had spontaneously appeared and we let them grow but they took
over literally the whole garden, and by the time I started to try and
eliminate some of them, we could already harvest 4 big pumpkins.
There were pumpkins everywhere, except for in the tomato-area because
the tomatoes themselves were growing so densely.
| Some of the pumpkins |
| Brussel sprouts, that I thought would be broccoli |
We harvested grapes
for weeks, made juice, jelly, and overfed the chickens (they liked
the grapes a bit too much…not great for chickens' digestion).
We had pears and
peaches at the same time all requiring immediate processing, and at
that time I cursed the garden a bit because it was just too much
work, but now it is lovely to have preserved pears and peaches with
breakfast.
Then came 3 tree
loads of apples, luckily they are keeping quite well in the shed so
we have an ongoing apple supply.
Even the figs
ripened recently, leading to fig jam, figs in brandy, figs in port
wine, a delicious desert of figs in a syrup of caramel and port wine,
and an overjoyed Mediterranean friend who ate through a whole bag.
The last big thing
now are feijoas, a South American fruit very popular here in NZ. We
have 5 bushes and have been eating feijoas as snack, in muesli, in
Strudel, in chutney, as salad and in chicken. The overload feels
a bit like the zucchinis but the feijoas are less tiresome, and a
good trade item.
Because today we
traded feijoas for rotten horse poo. Sounds like a weird trade, but
the rotten horse poo is very good fertilizer. Our colleague Chris
took a monstrous cauliflower on the first fieldtrip of the season,
explaining he had started using the rotten horse poo from 15 years
accumulation. We were ca. 6 people on that fieldtrip for 10 days and
couldn't finish that 1 cauliflower.
| Shovelling horse poo |
| vege beds with horse poo |
So today we used
work's trailer again and went to Chris' place to shovel in some horse
poo. And then back home to shovel it out onto the vege beds. After a
summer full of digging soil pits, we were physically well prepared
for this job, and also to dig some new holes to relocate 4 berry
bushes. Always a sure sign of being a soil scientist is when you dig
a hole for a berry bush in your own garden and happily yell out to
your soil scientist partner “I reached the B horizon!”.
| The berry-bush B horizon |
| The new berry area |
Our supermarket New
World ran a tv
advertisement in spring for when they were giving away their
“Little Gardens” vege seeds. In the ad, people get their Little
Gardens from New World, they grow their plants, and start harvesting
their own veges. At the end they had a shot of the Fruit& Veg
area of a New World supermarket in summer, empty of customers because
they all grew their own. And that is in fact what happened in our
case, although not all our fruit & veges came from Little
Gardens, but we hardly ever bought anything over the whole summer
other than bananas and mushrooms. Last week we had a meal that
consisted almost 100% of stuff from our garden (eggs, potatoes,
lettuce, tomatoes, herbs, lemon juice, fruit for dessert). And that
feels really good!
So next season I'll
try to keep track of the garden's progress a bit more, depending on
how many trips we'll make and how much time is spent on skinning
peaches…
| Chickens are starting to look much better, actually growing feathers |