Our shipment
arrived! All 71 boxes and 2 mattresses were delivered to our current
address and are now stored in a horse stable and in our guest room.
We haven't unpacked
much of the boxes, as we will still have to move them again to
their/our final destination, which is still unknown.
Thomas did however
immediately unpack and assemble his beloved yellow bike, to make sure
all parts had made it. He then cycled off to work on his own bike,
and was very excited about that.
It is a double
feeling, on the one hand did we manage quite all right with only a
few backpacks worth of clothes and personal items, on the other hand
it is quite nice to have a larger variety of shirts and pyjamas, for
instance, and a vacuum cleaner that actually vacuums, and doesn't
smell of wet dog. (The vacuum cleaner at the cottage stinks worse
than any real dog, and redistributes dust and sand through the
cottage instead of cleaning.)
It is like unpacking
71 presents. In 3 months you forget just how nice your things
actually are. I was looking for Thomas' favourite knife in the
kitchen boxes and found all these amazing tools that we have. I also
found the Dutch candies that my colleagues had bought for me as
goodbye presents, and that I had packed in a bag inside a tin inside
a larger tin (I call this technique “matryoshka'ing”), what a
nice surprise! And I remembered the nice goodbye party… And wished
I had a job here, and nice colleagues.
So now all that is
left to do is for me to get a job, and for us to buy a house.
Regarding the job: I
now applied for 11 jobs, was rejected without interviews for 6, was
rejected after interviews for 2, and am still waiting to hear from 3.
I am sure I will find something eventually, but this situation is
getting a bit annoying.
Regarding the house:
every weekend we go to open homes and see houses that are either too
big, too expensive, too old, too small, too ugly, or too far away
from Thomas' work. Nevertheless, we are getting closer to finding out
what we want to spent on what sort of property, and where it has to
be, so we might find something soon.

