Sunday, 29 April 2012

Noho Marae

With incredible bad timing during the worst of the lab troubles, I was off on a two day cultural training at a marae. A marae is a gathering house of the Maori, the native people of New Zealand. I learned that the marae is not the actual  meeting house, but the name for the whole complex of buildings and outdoor areas, of which most importantly the wharenui, the big meeting house, and the whare kai, the house to eat. Another thing I already knew but that was strongly reinforced is that food, or kai, is very important in Maori-culture.

The training was organized by work, by an HR person that I am not particularly fond of. Because staying overnight at a marae is an essential part of the experience, is was a 2-day event. We had 2 sessions on do’s and don’t’s in the marae, the whole process and introducing ourselves in te reo Maori, the Maori language. Because I have done an introduction to Maori language, and Thomas is “full-time” student of Maori at the moment, I could put together a nice introduction to myself, the mihimihi. In a traditional mihimihi you introduce yourself by describing where you are from: My mountain is xxx, my river is yyy, your tribe, subtribe, sub-subtribe, ancestors, father, mother, and finally your own name and where you live. 

Being from the Netherlands, the mountain-thing is always tricky. Katarina kindly offered I could use her mountain (the Swiss Alps), and our instructor, Maori himself and apparently incapable of imagining a landscape without mountains, said “or just take the highest landmark from where you grew up” which had some of my American colleagues joking “anything above sea-level will do Nina!”. I finally came up with the elegant solution of dunes. 

Kia ora                                                      Hello
Ko pukeone taku maunga                          The sandhill is my mountain
Ko Amstel taku awa                                  The Amstel is my river
I whanau au ki Amsterdam                         I was born in Amsterdam
Ko ngati Horana taku iwi                           The Dutch (Hollanders) are my tribe
Ko Pieter taku matua                                 Pieter is my father
Ko Addy taku whaea                                Addy is my mother
Ko Idse taku tungane                                 Idse is my brother
Ko Thomas taku whaiaipo                          Thomas is my sweetheart
Ko Nina ahau                                             I am Nina
Ko Otautahi taku kainga                             Christchurch is my home
Kia ora                                                        Thank you

So Wednesday we all boarded the minivan and drove over to Akaroa where we were going to visit Onuku Marae. We had 2 Maori-trainers from the North Island with us, Tania and Rob, who were to lead the workshop and help out with the intricate process of entering and leaving the marae. 
The wharenui. It's not permitted to take photos inside unfortunately

Before you get into the marae, you have to form a group arranged with women in the front and men on the flanks. One of the elder women from the host-marae calls out, and one of our women calls back. They basically ask who you are and why you are visiting, acknowledge all who have gone and praise the spirits, or something along those lines. It is important to lift the “tapu” state off the visitors, which is kind of a sacred state that needs to be transformed into everyday neutral being. I liked the image that we visitors arrive with all the spirits of our ancestors surrounding us, and they need to be acknowledged before they can take off and leave us in the here and now. Somehow the image of my grandparents/ancestors floating around me at this faraway place seemed odd and nice at the same time. 

If any dispute needs to be settled, this is the time to do that and men will do their haka’s and fights. This was not the case with us.

We went into the marae and some back and forth welcoming and thanking went on, we sang a waiata (song) and then we were ready to settle in. 

We first all did our mihimihi. I must say that it was quite a good way of getting to know your colleagues. You know they are German/American/Kiwi/British, you know perhaps where they did their PhD, but now you know they actually grew up in Franken-Germany, or in the shadow of Mount Baker, US, or in Ahitereiria (Australia). 
The little church next to the marae - the first non-denominational church in NZ

The rest of the 2 days we discussed the Treaty of Waitangi. This is a very controversial document – or set of documents – in NZ. It was drafted in 1840 between a lot of Maori tribes and the British crown, in order to control the behaviour of the British in NZ and to regulate the selling-buying of land. It was set up in English, translated into Maori, the original English draft has never been seen again, instead they made another English version a day later. The Maori version and the English one are slightly different. Not surprisingly, the slight difference works very much in favour of the British. And even though the Maori version is the only one signed by a representative of the crown, and by most of the Maori tribes, it has never really been followed very strictly at all. As everywhere else in the world this resulted in that the British got all the land and the Maori were not allowed to speak their language or practice their culture. 
the uber-ancestor of the marae. He was captured by another tribe&Brits and they cut out his eyes so he would never find back home. So as a nice touch, his tribe put little lights in his greenstone eyes on top of the marae
 


Luckily in 1975 it was recognized that this was all no good and they set up a tribunal to look at all land claims and determine if they were fair or not. This didn’t have a lot of power until 1985, and over the past decades a lot of tribes have been compensated for illegal land-selling actions. Nevertheless, we also looked at current legislation and documents, and really, the government is still doing everything it can to not give back land. Although this is nothing new in terms of how the world and the human greedy mind works, and Maori have a much better position than other native peoples elsewhere (only look at the Aboriginals in Aussie) it remains sad. 

So it was an intense 2 days. We were sitting on mattresses on the ground in the wharenui the whole time, and had numerous meals per day, all very good, but some more movement would have been nice too. We also slept in the wharenui, which is a nice experience, all the ancestors carved in wood surrounding you and your asthmatic colleague snoring a hole in the roof. We got to know each other better and from Tania and Rob learned a lot about current Maori-affairs and issues too. They were nicely young (my age) and modern and we also addressed some feminist issues and how traditional roles need to change. 



After the two days I had a splitting headache that was unreactive to massive doses of aspirin. I was also trying to digest the whole idea of the importance of your home-land and your family. On the one hand: for Maori it is of tremendous importance where you are from and who your family is. You are always tied back to that place and those people. So I, naturally, wondered, what if you want to get away from it? It seemed like that was just totally not an option. Or for a short time, but you would always come back. So, on the other hand, what am I doing here in NZ? I really love this place, but I have absolutely no connection to it, in Maori-terms. Would I always remain disconnected and floating here? The more I thought about the place I was born and grew up and my family and ancestors, it seemed like a moral duty to go back. But, really? Am I not free to wander?

So, complicated stuff. There is no answer and I’m not really looking for one either. I’ll just keep floating where the wind blows me. Soon that will be “home”. At some point it may be out of New Zealand again. We’ll see.