For almost a week Thomas and me wandered the streets of Freiburg and this question wouldn’t leave me. Everything so neat and lively, all the old friends and colleagues, all my favourite shops and restaurants and cafés…
It didn’t help that we visited the institute many times and got a welcome that felt like this
Also I tried to get some work done at the institute and totally fell back in the old atmosphere of working there. Although after a few days at the institute I also realized “aah, THAT was why I wanted to leave this place …”. Some things (people) don’t change.
I didn’t get a lot of work done obviously because we were constantly having coffees and teas with people and chatting and gossiping about Freiburg university life.
I visited my landlord and joked that if my old apartment would be available I would just move back in…
We did a typical Schwarzwald hike in gloomy weather and I caught another cold, but it was lots of fun.
Then we visited Basel to meet a friend. So strange to cross borders so casually when in NZ there are no borders at all.
All in all, if there is any chance in the next years to come to move back to Freiburg, I think I will take it. I knew I’d missed the cute little town, but I was still surprised how happy and at home I felt again.