Thursday, 14 July 2011

4th of July

There hasn’t been much time for blog updates lately. After I spent the 4th July long weekend being incredibly lazy at the lakehouse, I worked non-stop in the lab. I tried to get ahead of myself with “a few small things” over the weekend, and ended up starting too many different experiments so that Sunday and Monday and Tuesday I was just running from one experiment to the next and trying to keep track of at what stage everything was.

The 4th of July celebrations at the lake were fun. The weather was thunderstormish, but it blew over and we watched fireworks from the boat. There was a great deal of people and a lot of confusion who everyone was, and at some point a woman walked in, all cheerful and with a sixpack of beer, who turned out to be at the wrong party.






Other things I’ve done outside the lab are few, but I managed to see another open air movie, An American in Paris, and another classic, West Side Story. I’m slowly getting up to date with American film history…

I also got some decent new hiking boots. I had hardly uttered the words when everyone in the lab started screaming “REI! REI!” which is a beloved outdoor shop in the US. So someone took me there (“No, I don’t mind, I practically live in that shop”) and I climbed the test-rock in many different boots and found a good pair. Let’s see how much NZ fieldwork they can endure.